In the context of eDiscovery, there is no one-size-fits-all Document Review solution. In fact, there are several different approaches with varied protocols, technologies and applications. Depending on document volumes, timeframes, factual complexity, adversarial environment, budgets and other considerations, one approach might be more appropriate than another.
Legal Outsourcing 2.0’s expert document review attorneys are available to consult with Counsel to determine which approach would be best suited for the case at hand.
Generally speaking there are 3 approaches:
- Linear Review: prior to review, the initial data set is culled down using data filters and review accelerators (e.g., keyword searching, custodian, date range, concept, clustering, near duplicate and email threading), Reviewers then perform document-by-document coding decisions on each document.
- Technology-Assisted Review (TAR): used to bypass or modify Linear Review. Based on sample sets, predictive classification technology is applied to the data which then separates relevant documents from non-relevant documents.
- Hybrid Review: this approach supplements TAR results with a Linear Review approach: i.e. the highest scored TAR responsive documents are reviewed by case subject matter experts, while the remaining documents, (those deemed least likely to be responsive) are sent to a lower-cost review team.
Over time, the way document reviews have been staffed has evolved, affected by both technology and cost. Traditionally, document reviews were conducted at the lawyer’s office by Associates who billed at Associates rates, which today average $200+ per hour. Due to the high costs associated with Associates performing the routine tasks of document review, client pressure ultimately prevailed in shifting the work from expensive Associates to temporary lawyers, usually in the same high cost centers, and typically billed at a rate of $50-$60 per hour.
However, in today’s digital age, technology makes the still high cost practice of domestic outsourcing as unnecessary as the associate in the law firm approach did 30 years ago. Most documents are no longer produced in paper that can only be reviewed where the paper is physically located. Document review is now largely done by reviewing digital documents on a secure hosted platform. Reviewers no longer need to be in the same place. They don’t need to be in a high cost center. Technology is already in place that allows for documents to be distributed in different places and reviewed by reviewers who cost different amounts based on characteristics of the documents to be reviewed. Clients are beginning to prevail upon law firms to take advantage of that technology and lower the cost of conducting document reviews. Legal Outsourcing 2.0 allows them to do so.
Legal Outsourcing 2.0’s unique staffing approach and advantages:
- On-site US Licensed Supervising Attorney / Indian Review Attorney Ratio: To ensure the highest levels of quality and efficiencies our review teams are supervised by 1 expert on-site licensed US attorney for every 30 Indian review attorneys. This ratio of expert leadership and oversight is unmatched in the industry and plays a critical role in how we can deliver a more efficient and cost-effective work product without compromising on quality, defensibility and security.
- Client Remote Access and Monitoring. Legal Outsourcing 2.0 clients have the option of supplementing their review with remote access and monitoring. Using advanced technology, client teams can visually monitor and access our review process regardless of physical location, as if they are in the room with our reviewers. Accordingly, client teams have “over the shoulder” access to real-time performance and productivity metrics and can make decisions regarding any aspect of the review in real time and with just one mouse click.
Depending on clients’ needs, Legal Outsourcing 2.0 provides different review approaches and engagement models. Clients have the option to engage us for linear, TAR or hybrid reviews. We also can set up one-off document review teams, a dedicated team or a combination of a dedicated / flex team. Clients’ can move from one model to another as their needs change. As a best practice, we believe a combination of a smaller dedicated team, with retained training of clients’ best practices, and a flex team that ramps up as needed, delivers the most value by allowing clients to leverage retained knowledge as they scale. This approach may not be the place to start for all clients, but we believe it’s where it makes the most sense for clients to end up.
Whether you need a comprehensive document review service or simply staffing to augment your processes, Legal Outsourcing 2.0 has the experience, flexibility and scale to meet your needs, and at a fraction of the cost. All reviews follow rigorous, defensible processes and are supervised by onsite expert U.S. licensed attorneys. Our reviews utilize the most advanced technologies and are performed by qualified Indian lawyers at our highly secure Calcutta facilities, where we apply the strictest security protocols and standards.